Oct 4, 2014

f Comment

[SOLVED] Fixing Google Chrome Web Browser Update Failure Error 7 in SECONDS!

Amazon How do you fix the update error 7 when updating Google Chrome to the latest version?

Background

My Google Chrome's version is 32, and I'd like to update it to the latest version. When I go to About Google Chrome, it says it is updating but it stays at 0%; then I see an error message saying that update failed with error 7. Here's the complete message:

Version 32. Update failed (error: 7) An error occurred while checking for updates: Google Chrome or Google Chrome Frame cannot be updated due to inconsistent Google Update Group Policy settings. Use the Group Policy Editor to set the update policy override for the Google Chrome Binaries application and try again; see http://goo.gl/uJ9gV for details.

The error message contains a link to Update fails due to inconsistent Google Update Group Policy settings which contains lengthy instructions on how to apply new group policy settings, remove the old group policy settings, check that your settings are correct. I try to follow the instructions but they are not straightforward. For example, it says "Remove the old group policy templates from your tools", but I cannot find such an option in Tools.

Anyway, long story short, I found a perfect way to fix this error, which only took me SECONDS. Read on to see how I successfully got around inconsistent Google update group policy settings and successfully updated Google Chrome to the latest version.

I am using Windows 7.

My solution works if you see the following error when installing or updating Chrome from the Chrome website:

Google Chrome or Google Chrome Frame cannot be updated due to inconsistent Google Update Group Policy settings. Use the Group policy editor to set the update policy override for the Chrome Binaries application and try again.

Solution

Simply uninstall Google Chrome from your computer. Then use Internet Explorer (IE) or Firefox or some web browser to download and install the latest Google Chrome. You will not lose any data such as forms, passwords, bookmarks, add-ons, extensions.

Note you must uninstall Google Chrome first.

It took me less than one minute to go through this entire process.

If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to help you!
Please leave a comment here!
One Minute Information - by Michael Wen
ADVERTISING WITH US - Direct your advertising requests to Michael