Aug 6, 2012

f Comment

A COMPLETE List of Special Characters In Unix Bash Shell!

AmazonA special character in Unix shell has a special meaning and whenever you type it it is interpreted as such by the shell. Do you ever wonder what characters are considered special and interpreted thereby in Unix shell? Read on to find a COMPLETE list of such characters in Unix terminal!

My Shell Version
First of all I am using bash shell which is the most popular shell on Unix or Linux distributions. My bash shell's version is 4.1.5 as shown below:

$ bash -version
GNU bash, version 4.1.5(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)

A Complete List of Special Characters in Bash Shell
I've managed to escape every single special character by running 'echo' below:

$ echo ~\!@#$%^\&*\(\)_+{}\|:\"\<\>?\`-=[]\\\;\',./
~!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:"<>?`-=[]\;',./

As you can see the special characters are each preceded by a backward slash (\). Here's a list of the twelve special characters in bash shell:

!
&
(
)
|
"
<
>
`
\
;
'

Whenever you need to use any of these special characters simply insert a backward slash (\) before them!

If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to help you!
Please leave a comment here!
One Minute Information - by Michael Wen
ADVERTISING WITH US - Direct your advertising requests to Michael